Pattacus Medical provides medical writing and various other services to the medical profession, pharmaceutical industry, advertising agencies and medical information/education companies.
Writing services include:
- Medical writing for healthcare providers, pharmacists and lay public
- Articles for medical journals; guidelines; treatment protocols
- Attendance at and review of medical conferences, advisory board proceedings & minutes
- Creative and strategic marketing (healthcare and consumer); promotional material; press releases, etc.
- Patient education; CPD for healthcare professionals
- Facilitation of communication with the medical profession; e.g. facilitating key opinion leader boards & market research
My portfolio of selected articles
Latest from 2020:
Read our 2021 Childhood fever guidelines for sub-Saharan Africa here: 210409 Management of acute fever in children
Webb D. Interpreting the clinical literature. South African Psychiatry 2020; 23. Published online May 2020. Interpreting clinical trials SAP
Webb D, Raff M. Tension-type headache: Comorbidities are important. J PainSA 2020; 15(2): 5-8. 2020 06 TTH comorbidities article
Kok A, Hariram A, Webb D, Amod A. Patterns of diabetes management in South Africa. Baseline and 24 month data from the South African cohort of the DISCOVER study. Journal of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes of South Africa 2021: 1–6. Published online 23 March 2021. https://doi.org/10.1080/16089677.2021.1897227
Webb D. Psychosocial outcomes in children with short stature. SA Psychiatry 2021;26:34-37. 2104 Psychosocial outcomes in children with short stature
Webb D. Atherosclerosis – the importance of plaque dynamics. Cardiovascular Journal of South Africa 2000; 11(4): 237-240.
Webb D. Avoiding drug errors in the pharmacy. Modern Pharmacy September 2011; 18(9): 6-9. Avoiding drug errors
EXCEED study poster presented at ISH 2012 held at the Sydney Convention and Exhibition Centre, Sydney, Australia from the 30 Sept – 4 Oct 2012.
Benitha R, et al. Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Training In Rheumatology: A Single Center South African Experience. Abstract presented at SAARA 2013.
Murphy A, Pemba L, Jithoo N, Webb D, Brody M. GAPP2TM survey finds irregular dosing of basal insulin analogue in South African patients with type 2 diabetes is frequent and may be under-reported. Abstract presented at SEMDSA 2013.
Webb D, Omar M, Kok A. Insulin-related weight gain in patients with type 2 diabetes. Case examples, mechanisms and an approach to management. South African Journal of Diabetes and Vascular Disease 2013; 10(1): 12-16.
Webb D, Magan A. Hypoglycaemia unawareness: Practical avoidance and management. South African Journal of Diabetes and Vascular Disease 2014; 11(1): 9-12.
Webb D, Raal FJ. The paradox of diabetes, obesity and cardiovascular risk. JEMDSA 2014; 19(3): 96-101. Obesity paradox JEMDSA 2014
Webb D. Diabetic symmetric peripheral neuropathy. Part I: Diagnosis. SA J Diabetes 2014; November.
Webb D. Diabetic symmetric peripheral neuropathy. Part II: Treatment of diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain (DPNP). SA J Diabetes 2015; March.
Segal D, Webb D. Short stature. Diagnosis and psychosocial outcomes. DeNovo Medica; March 2015. http://www.denovomedica.com.
Webb D. Is hypoglycaemia associated with cognitive impairment in type 2 diabetes? SA J Diabetes 2015; March.
Webb DA, Allers E. Antidepressants: Which one to choose? SA Psychiatry 2015; 2: 30-32.
Webb DA, Jain R. Functionality and treatment of major depression. An introduction to desvenlafaxine. SA Psychiatry 2015; 2: 44-48.
Webb DA, Eppel S. Assessment and management of sexual pain in men. SA Society of Sexual Medicine; 2015.
Webb DA, Jain R. Examining the neurobiology of exercise and meditation in depression. SA Psychiatry 2015; 3: 18-26.
Webb DA, Jain R. Examining three critical mental wellness techniques: Part I: Sleep. SA Psychiatry 2015; 4: 46-54.
Webb DA, Jain R. Examining three critical mental wellness techniques: Part II: Nutrition and social connectedness. SA Psychiatry 2015; 5: 63-64.
Webb DA. Neuropathic pain: Current concepts. SA J Diabetes November; 2015.
Everett Murphy K, Webb DA. Motivational interviewing. SA J Diabetes November; 2015.
Webb DA. Psychological distress among war journalists. Carnegie-Wits Alumni Diaspora Program. Part 1. Seminar by Prof Anthony Feinstein. SA Psychiatry 2015; 4: 16-19.
Webb DA. Developing and validating a psychiatric rating scale & cognitive function in multiple sclerosis. Carnegie-Wits Alumni Diaspora Program. Part 2. Seminar by Prof Anthony Feinstein. SA Psychiatry 2015; 5: 66-68.
Jain R, Webb DA. Chronic pain: Addressing the triad of pain, sleep and depression/anxiety. SA J Diabetes; 2016; 9(3): 7-11.
Jain R, Webb D. Treatment of major depressive disorder (MDD). 2016 update. SA Psychiatry 2016; 10: 22-24.
Webb D, Jain R, Jain S. Treating patients for better outcomes in depression: Incorporating a patient-centered wellness program into everyday practice. SA Psychiatry 2017; 11: 35-43. WILD5 SAP 2017
Webb D. An introduction to mindfulness. What is it and how might it be useful to people with diabetes? SA J Diabetes 2017; 10(2): 7-11. Mindfulness Diabetes
Webb D. Practical interpretation of the Alcoholics Anonymous 12 steps of addiction recovery. SA Psychiatry 2017; 12: 24-26. AA 12 Steps
Allers E, Webb D. Management of the primary sleep disorders. Sleep Matters 2018; 9(1): 4-6. Sleep Matters 9(1)
Webb D. Sodium glucose co-transporter 2 inhibitors for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. SA J Diabetes 2018; 11(1): 12-15.
Webb D, Naidoo P. Viscosupplementation for knee osteoarthritis: a focus on Hylan G-F 20. Orthopedic Research and Reviews 2018; 10: 73-81. Available here.
Motingoe K, Webb D. Treatment of anxiety disorders in children and adolescents. PsychScience 2019; 2(1): 8-11.
Webb DA. Psychotherapy for suicide survivors and suicidal patients (Parts I & II). Carnegie-Wits Alumni Diaspora Program. Seminars by Dr Mark Goldblatt (Harvard Medical School). SA Psychiatry 2019; 9: 39-41; 43-45.
Salduker S, Allers E, Bechan S, Hodgson E, Meyer F, Meyer H, Smuts J, Vuong E, Webb D. Practical approach to a patient with chronic pain of uncertain etiology in primary care. J Pain Research 2019; 12: 2651-2662. Available here: https://www.dovepress.com/articles.php?article_id=48342
Treatment guidelines / Consensus statements
- South African Heart Association (SA Heart) and the Lipid and Atherosclerosis Society of Southern Africa (LASSA). SA Dyslipidaemia Consensus Guidelines Statement. S Afr Med J 2012; 102: 177-188.
- Blanchard C, Chetty S, Ganca L, Gwyther E, Hodgson E, Kamerman P; Meiring M, Sharma V, Webb D. Guide to the treatment of cancer pain in South Africa; 2015. Pretoria (SA): Medspec Publishing; 2015. Full guideline is available here.
- Raff M, Crosier J, Eppel S, Meyer H, Sarembock B, Webb D. South African Guideline for the use of chronic opioid therapy for chronic noncancer pain. S Afr Med J 2014; 104(1 Suppl 1): 78-89. Available here.
- Raff M, Crosier J, Eppel S, Meyer H, Sarembock B, Webb D. South African Guideline for the use of chronic opioid therapy for chronic noncancer pain. Quick Reference Guide. Published online in S Afr Med J 2014; 104(1 Suppl 1): 78-89. DOI:10.7196/SAMJ.7316. Also published in SA Pain Journal; Q1 2014.
- Green R, Jeena P, Kotze S, Lewis H, Webb D, Wells M. Management of acute fever in children: Guideline for community healthcare providers and pharmacists. S Afr Med J 2013; 103(12): 948- 954. Available here.
- Kenya: Protocol for the identification and management of hypertension in adults in primary care; 2015. Endorsed by Ministry of Health; Kenya Association of Physicians; Healthy Heart Africa.
- Physiotherapy guidelines for the management of chronic pain. 2014; SA Physiotherapy Association.
- Klug EQ, Raal FJ, Marais AD, Smuts MC, Schamroth C, Jankelow D, Blom DJ, Webb DA. South African Dyslipidaemia Guideline Consensus Statement. A joint statement from the South African Heart Association (SA Heart) and the Lipid and Atherosclerosis Society of South Africa (LASSA). S Afr Med J 2018; 108(11) (part 2). Available here.
DeNovo Medica Conference reports and articles (http://www.denovomedica.com)
- January 2015. Current Osteoporosis management. How long should we treat primary osteoporosis? With a FOCUS on ideal length of treatment and considerations in the use of menopausal hormone therapy for fracture prevention.
- March 2015. Menopausal Hormone Therapy and Sexual Health. SAMS Meeting; Sandton, Johannesburg; 28 February 2015.
- April 2015. Optimising insulins for glucose control in type 2 diabetes.
- September 2015. Cholesterol: How low to go and what lies ahead. (Wits Medical Registrars Training Program; Sunnyside Park Hotel, Parktown; 31 July 2015).
- November 2015: Cranberries: Evaluating the evidence of health benefits. Cranberries
- November 2015: Antimicrobial stewardship.
- February 2016: SA Antibiotic Stewardship Program meeting 6 February 2016, Johannesburg.
- July 2016: Merging Medical and Mechanical Management (M & M) Interventional Cardiology Annual Conference report; Mount Grace, Magaliesburg.
- July 2016: Specialist care and medical law ethics: M & M; Mount Grace, Magaliesburg.
- August 2016: IDegAsp: South African launch; Sandton Convention Center.
- September 2016. Improving care for adults and adolescents with chronic asthma.
- September 2016. Allergic rhinitis and the united airway. Cipla Respiratory Symposium.
- September 2016. Current concepts in the management of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Cipla Respiratory Symposium.
- September 2016. Community acquired pneumonia: current concepts and antibiotic stewardship. Cipla Respiratory Symposium.
- March 2017. Migraine. Cipla Psychiatry Forum.
- March 2017. Conference review. Cipla Psychiatry Forum.
- May 2017. 2017 SEMDSA diabetes management guidelines. Launch meeting.
- June 2017. PainSA Pain Symposium, University of Pretoria: Take home messages for the pharmacist.
- July 2017. Highlights from the 5th Annual GMPP Symposium 2017. Interface between Medicine and Psychiatry.
- August 2017. Conference review. Cipla Neurology Forum.
- August 2017. Update on Parkinson’s Disease. Cipla Neurology Forum. March 2017.
- August 2017. Essentials of dementia: the elderly traveler. Elderly traveller
- November 2017. The underestimated risk of hypertension, with Prof J Ker.
- November 2017. Combination therapy for type 2 diabetes: A perspective on SGLT2 inhibitors.
- November 2017. Safety of SGLT2 inhibitors.
- April 2018. Neuropathic pain.
- April 2018. Essentials of the endogenous cannabinoid system and cannabis: potential medical benefits. Cannabis
- April 2019: Does it matter how you lower glucose?
- April 2019: Topical treatments for psoriasis.
Other conference and meeting reviews
- Benefits and risks of Hormone Replacement Therapy put into perspective. Official statement from the South African Menopause Society; 3rd Annual Congress, 30 August-1 September 2002. Official statement in response to publication of the Women’s Health Study.
- 4th South African Menopause Society (SAMS) Congress 2004; ICC, Cape Town.
- Proceedings from the TIVA workshop held during the 14th World Congress of Anaesthesiologists; 5th March 2008; Cape Town, South Africa.
- South African Dietary Lipid Intake Consensus Meeting. The Role of Fat in Health and Disease in South Africa. Arabella Sheraton, Cape Town 3rd March 2009.
- 5th Haematology & Oncology Symposium 18-19 November 2011; Balalaika Hotel, Sandton; Johannesburg.
- MAX Foundation: CML Africa program. Workshop for healthcare providers; Durban 20 November, 2013.
- Carnegie-Wits Alumni Diaspora program. Department of Psychiatry; 2013.
- South African Society of Psychiatry (SASOP). 1st Public Mental Health Forum. Sunnyside Park Hotel; Parktown; 10 October 2015. SA J Psychiatry 2015; 5: 10-12.
- Pfizer Wellness Day April 2016. Professors Rakesh & Saundra Jain. WILD 5: implementing a wellness program in general practice. Sandton; Johannesburg.
- Merging Medical and Mechanical Management Interventional Cardiology Annual Conference Program Summary; July 2016; Mount Grace, Magaliesburg.
- Multidisciplinary assessment and management of pain. A report from the first Adcock Ingram Multidisciplinary Specialist Pain Symposium, Johannesburg, 10 June 2017.
- Costs of Psychiatry Practice in South Africa. A new business model to optimise outcomes and costs. Presentation by Dr Eugene Allers. Psych Science SA 2018; 1(2): 5-7.
- Diagnosis, pharmacotherapy and preventative factors in mild cognitive impairment. Presentation by Dr Felix Potocnik. Psych Science SA 2018; 1(2): 8-11.
Glaucoma CME for pharmacists. eDoc for Internet June 2013.
- Guest editor for the Journal of Hypertension & Metabolic Disease, October & December 2002.
- Booysen DJ. South African Guide to Topical Ophthalmic Drugs. Medspec publishing. Pretoria; South Africa; 2011.
- Guidozzi F, et al. South African Menopause Society Revised Position Statement on Hormone replacement Therapy; S Afr Med J 2014;104(8):537-543. DOI:10.7196/SAMJ.8423
- Avenant C. Suggested Guidelines: The non-surgical management of chronic low back pain; Updated 1 September 2016. Submission to Medical Aids.
Uncredited/credited work has appeared in various consumer magazines, including Reader’s Digest, YOU magazine, Intimacy magazine, Sunday Times, Health24